Business success is driven by much more than just product/service and pricing. In fact, consumer research over the past few years has found that consumers are increasingly choosing companies they do business with based on the company’s customer service and experience, as well as its corporate social responsibility agenda.
This means successful transactions today are fully customer-driven, which is why customer service and experience have become a priority for businesses across industries.
But why take our word for it?
We’ve compiled 200 customer service facts and figures so that you can see for yourself why customer service is now more important than ever and that exceptional customer service can lead to more leads, sales, loyal customers, and revenue.
Customer Service Statistics: Key Facts and Figures for 2020
Statistics Supporting Great Customer Service
Even with the disruption of a global pandemic, consumers prefer doing business with companies that can make and maintain positive connections – 38% of consumers are ready to pay more for a product or service if it means receiving a superior customer experience.
Financial Statistics on Great Customer Service
Only 14 percent of consumers overall strongly agree that companies are effectively providing a positive customer experience through convergence between new digital, mobile and social channel interactions and more traditional ones.
The percentage of consumers saying their biggest frustrations with providers—failure to deliver on their promises, inefficient and slow customer service, and lack of interaction convenience—have remained consistent in the past few years.
Nearly seven in 10 decision-makers say executives allocate the budget needed to modernize customer service operations. What’s more, the majority of service teams expect budget increases next year.
The majority of CX organizations (95%) collect customer feedback data. For customer experience professionals, three of the top five high-priority KPIs are NPS® (62.7%), CSAT (54.2%) and CES (30.9%).
Stats on the Real Costs of Bad Customer Service
Customer Experience Statistics
The most frustrating aspects of a bad customer service experience include long hold/wait times, automated systems that make it hard to reach a human agent, having to repeat my information multiple times.
Seventy-one percent of consumers believe their problem should be solved immediately upon contacting customer service, but 52% report that they’ve experienced hold times longer than fifteen minutes.
Customer Preferred Methods of Communication Statistics
For 35% of all consumers (and 42% of Gen Z and millennials), being able to find an answer to a question or resolve an issue for themselves when they encounter a problem with a product or service is a crucial element of the customer experience.
53% of consumers that want a self-service option want it because they believe it is faster than using any other channel and 22% are looking for a service or solution that’s always available, day or night, rather than during typical business hours.
Live Chat Support Statistics
53% of consumers that want a self-Customers who use chat give higher scores for agents, have higher levels of satisfaction, show greater loyalty, and are more likely to recommend the company.
Stats on Tech and A.I. in Business
In the near future, channels with the biggest growth will include mobile chat and video support. Over the coming 18 months, the use of voice activated personal assistants like Apple’s Siri or Amazon’s Alexa in customer service will see 152% growth.
Issues that agents and bots worked on together resulted in the highest CSAT at 4.40, when averaged across 6 months. This is 7% higher than the average CSAT across all messaging issues, and 1% higher average CSAT than tickets that did not invoke a bot.
- Pwc https://www.pwc.com/us/en/advisory-services/publications/consumer-intelligence-series/pwc-consumer-intelligence-series-customer-experience.pdf (year, 2018)
- HubSpot https://blog.hubspot.com/service/customer-service-stats (year, 2020)
- HubSpot https://blog.hubspot.com/sales/live-chat-go-to-market-flaw? (year, 2018 | updated 2020)
- Amex https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171215005416/en/ (year, 2017)
- Qualtrics https://www.qualtrics.com/xm-institute/roi-of-customer-experience-2020/ (year, 2020)
- Gartner https://emtemp.gcom.cloud/ngw/globalassets/en/marketing/documents/creating-a-high-impact-customer-experience-strategy-gartner-for-marketers-11-22-2019.pdf (year, 2019)
- Adobe https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/www/us/en/offer/digital-trends-2020/digital-trends-2020-full-report.pdf (year, 2020)
- KPMG https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg/xx/pdf/2020/07/customer-experience-in-the-new-reality.pdf (year, 2020)
- Accenture https://www.accenture.com/_acnmedia/accenture/conversion-assets/dotcom/documents/global/pdf/dualpub_6/accenture-customer-2020-future-ready-reliving-past.pdfla=es-es (year, 2020)
- ZenDesk https://d1eipm3vz40hy0.cloudfront.net/pdf/cxtrends/cx-trends-2020-full-report.pdf (year, 2020)
- BT, Cisco https://www.globalservices.bt.com/en/insights/whitepapers/5-trends-in-customer-experience-for-2020 (2019)
- Microsoft https://info.microsoft.com/rs/157-GQE-382/images/2018StateofGlobalCustomerServiceReport.pdf (2019)
- CFI Group https://cdncom.cfigroup.com/wp-content/uploads/CFI-contact-center-satisfaction-index-2019.pdf (2019)
- HubSpot https://blog.hubspot.com/service/customer-delight?_ga=2.91044890.189017126.1569010855-457193333.1556111594 (2019)
- Oracle http://www.oracle.com/us/dm/seo100703953-ww-gb-wh-ce1-ie1a-ev-4428153.html (2019)
- Gartner https://www.gartner.com/en/customer-service-support/insights/customer-loyalty (2020)
- Gartner https://www.gartner.com/en/customer-service-support/insights/effortless-experience (2020)
- Forrester https://go.forrester.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Forrester_Predictions-2020.pdf (2020)
- Grandview https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/customer-experience-management-market (2020)
- Salesforce https://www.salesforce.com/form/service-cloud/3rd-state-of-service/?d=7010M000001yv6OQAQ (2019)
- Gartner https://www.gartner.com/en/insights/top-insights/customer-service-2020 (2019)
- Salesforce https://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/assets/pdf/salesforce-state-of-the-connected-customer-report-2019.pdf (2019)
- Helpshift https://go.helpshift.com/State_of_CS_Automation_Report_TY.html (2019)
- Pointillist https://www.pointillist.com/blog/report-customer-journey-management-cx-measurement-2020/ (2020)
- Forrester https://lmistatic.blob.core.windows.net/document-library/boldchat/pdf/en/forrester-2018-customer-service-trends.pdf (2018)
- Kustomer https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/industry-resource/2020-research-what-modern-consumers-expect-from-the-customer-experience/#register (2020)
- The Northridge Group https://www.northridgegroup.com/insight/state-of-customer-service-experience-2019-report/ (2019)
- Acquia https://www.acquia.com/resources/ebooks/closing-cx-gap-customer-experience-trends-report (2019)
- Sitel https://www.sitel.com/white-paper/covid-19-the-cx-impact/ (2020)
- Sinch https://www.sinch.com/insights/resources/mobile-consumer-engagement-2020-2/ (2020)
- Conversocial https://www.conversocial.com/hubfs/StateofDigitalCustomerExperienceReport2019.pdf (2019)